Lawrence

Which Schedules 2 and 3 are you referring to in the second para - those of the DPA itself?  Or paragraphs 2 and 3 of the Schedule to SI 417 ?

If the latter, and the disclosure is of sensitive personal data, I think the public authority may be expected to justify disclosure to a journalist under paragraph 3 of SI 417. It seems designed to address precisely that situation as it requires the 'data controller' (ie the person considering whether to release the information to the journalist) to reasonably believe that publication would be in the public interest.

I suppose paragraph 2 might sometimes come into play when considering disclosure to a journalist but it would require that any disclosure was "necessary" for the discharge of a function relating to dishonesty, improper conduct, mismanagement etc which is a stricter test than that in Paragraph 3 which only requires that the disclosure "is in connection with" unlawful or dishonest etc conduct.

Maurice