Dear All,

I have come across the following link, which illustrates the issue in my subject line.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/extra/news-item.cfm/newsid/840

The Trading Standards Institute publish the outcomes of cases involving convictions for trading standards laws.  If a Council wanted to process something similar (either as a press release or a similar webpage) would it be able to do that in accordance with the DPA?

Now, my question is this: Is this processing in accordance with the DPA? [I am only using the TSI to illustrate the point rather than try to show they have done something wrong with the DPA.]

My view is that it is justified.

First schedule 2 is met (Condition 6) and potentially (Condition 5).

Schedule 3 is met because of the statutory instrument Processing sing of sensitive personal data order 2000 SI 2000 No. 417.  In particular article 3  (1) b  would be covered by the  provisions of the DPA regarding the public interest to protect the public from such things as unlawful acts, dishonesty, malpractice.)

It is done for (c) the special purposes as defined in section 3 of the Act (This refers to the purposes of journalism).  The Data Controller would then need to be registered for the purpose of journalism, which would authorise this processing.

In sum, the overriding public interest in protecting the public and reassuring them about the efficacy of the law applies and it is done with the judgement of the court rather than the background evidence (in other words it is proportionate). It also fits the special purpose of the Act.

If the TSI (or anyone else was not registered for the purposes of Journalism) then would the Statutory Instrument still apply?  Or does the TSI, for example, have an exemption because of its regulatory function?

Is my logic sound or have I missed something that would simplify this approach?   I would be grateful for any advice or guidance on how you would approach this issue.

Thanks,

Lawrence