From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alix Stredwick
Sent: 24 June 2012 13:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rent or Purchase Bicycle in Amsterdam? (cargo bikes)

Hello everyone,
Just had to respond to the thread appearing about cargo bikes in NL. Hugh of Cambridge Dutchbikes imports the Bakfiets brand but there are a number of dealers in the UK  (me being one of them!) if you don't want to go all the way to NL to purchase one. I don't want this to be a message just promoting my selling of the bikes - indeed my social enterprise is about promoting practical cycling for its environmental & health benefits amongst many - but felt compelled to chip in, in case this advice may be helpful.

I am starting up my social enterprise Carry Me Bikes in London and there is also Practical Cycles in northern England and others too who sell Bakfiets and other brands.

I would agree that the two-wheeled cargo bikes (long johns) are definitely more nippy & maneoverable than the trikes. But the Bakfiets trike especially is good for very large loads and you can get electric assist for hills/large loads etc (as you can for 2-wheeled), although there is a bit of a 'grey area' about power limits in the UK. Some brands of trike may be a little prone to tipping and I would agree that the first choice for most loads would be a 2-wheeler. However, someone who recently borrowed my demo Bakfiets trike said that it was much more stable and smooth than the Christiania (trike) he was used to 'driving' so I would suggest that it is very much on a brand-by-brand basis (I think the Christiania is a great bike too for other reasons although I don't currently sell them).

People who haven't tried the 2-wheeled long-john type often start out wanting a trike but then when they try the 2-wheeler they often realise that it's a better choice for their needs and is in fact very stable (due to its low centre of gravity). It also has a super stand that keeps the bike entirely still when loading & unloading and kids getting in/out.

A big word of caution about cargo bikes on trains; I can't comment on the situation in NL but in the UK it is very unlikely that you will get a Bakfiets type cargo bike/trike on a train. Firstly there is the practical issue of getting a  heavy and long/wide bike up stairs at the station or even fitting them in a lift, and then getting them to fit on a train; but also the issue that as far as I am aware most UK train companies do not allow over-size bikes such as tandems or cargo bikes on their services at all. Even adult tricycles as mobility aids are not allowed. As I understand it this is due to the demise of the much-missed guards' van and resultant modern rolling stock design.

I hope this helps
Alix Stredwick

----

Alix Stredwick

Founder, Carry Me Bikes
Skype: CarryMeBikes - tel 020 8525 4512 -07725 466 842 -

Twitter: @CarryMe_Bikes   Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CarryMeBikes