 From: Michael Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 29 June 2012, 18:18
Subject: Re: Event - African Awakenings? Interpreting contemporary African protest

I don't want to be the kill-joy, because the issues raised by the conference seem important ones, yet I'm worried about the disciplinary context that could produce such a problematic naming. I wonder what African social movements present before the recent period the conference orients itself towards might think about being implicitly portrayed as slumbering. It seems to me that a means by which heterodox colonialist discourses sustain themselves in the West is through the reduction of whole continents - specifically Africa and Latin America, and the geographically promiscuous 'Orient' - to generalizable qualities, if not essences. Those qualities typically work around the notion that those spaces reside in a temporality 'before' that of Europe and North America, and have yet to reach their full potential. While perhaps "African Awakenings" recognizes a little plurality, it's not really that far from "Africa Awakes." The metaphor seems really unhelpful in
 addressing what are complex and multifaceted movements which probably (I'm not familiar with any of them) possess genealogies as long as social movements in other parts of the world. Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill? Someone help.

Mike

Apologies for cross-postings ….

--

11 Station Road,