I've always found it fascinating to try and work out where the relic surface entrances and exits are to tunnels which have since shut them. The Rotherhithe tunnel (London) has two pedestrian stairwells which are directly either side of the river, but they've not been open for years. Going down to look at where they appear in the tunnel itself was an odd psychogeography of a ruin in plain sight- the main tunnel is still open to pedestrians but it's become such a toxic environment that most people assume that it's no entry. Cycling back up the incline into Wapping was more psychoactive.  Pottering about at the bottom of a carbon monoxide filled tunnel, and then inhaling deep lungfulls when racing a car back up to daylight left me lightheaded for the rest of the evening. But the film of hot sooty slime and minor cough is all part of the fun, just so long as you don't do it regularly.

Pete

Open University
http://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/about-the-faculty/departments/geography/postgraduate/profiles/peter_wood.php