  From: Kevin Coleman
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:11 AM
  Subject: Re: Democracy, Education and Saving the Planet - On Science, funding, career paths, vested interests, activists and conspiracy theorists

  Hi Nick,
  I take it that was a 'No' then to my view of things educational?
  Kev C

'The first of all Earthly Blessings........Independence' Edward Gibbon
  On 27/06/2012 20:24, Nicholas Maxwell wrote:
    What we need, above all, is an INTELLECTUAL revolution, from the profoundly and damagingly irrational knowledge-inquiry (plus standard empiricism as far as science is concerned), to wisdom-inquiry and aim-oriented empiricism.

    Aims at present lie beyond the scope of reason - inevitable as long as standard empiricism and knowledge-inquiry continue to prevail.  If aim-oriented empiricism and wisdom-inquiry were in place, aims and priorities of research would fall within the scope of reason, of intellectual assessment, alongside theories and empirical results.

    It ought to be regarded as relevant that the philosophy of inquiry we have built into science, and into acdemic inquiry, is profoundly
    irrational.

    The key to developing the kind of academic enterprise we really need is to bring about the above intellectual revolution.

                               Nick
    Website: www.nick-maxwell.demon.co.uk
    Publications online: http://philpapers.org/profile/17092