Hello John,
A report I got some time ago shows that the majority of catastrophic failures that occur do so at the interface with the bore hole insert near the surface leading to a large scale leak of methane. Unfortunately I cannot put my hand on that report right now but I have located a few others which answer your questions (I hope) about the potential for leakage of methane into the atmosphere by one or more vectors in the system. The well head failures are by far and away the biggest failure issue with shale gas extraction.
Regards
Kev C
Selection of numerous links with bullet points to explain each links relevance:
http://blog.shaleshockmedia.org/2012/04/08/horizontal-well-leaks/

More research based links and an article which highlights the climate risks:
http://stephenleahy.net/2012/03/02/fracking-and-shale-gas-a-bridge-to-more-global-warming-additional-new-research-now-confirms/

But its not just about climate risks:
http://63.134.196.109/documents/RiskAssessmentNaturalGasExtraction.pdf