Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Dave Leedal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ondrej,
>
> This is excellent work. Coming to Fortran from a Python/Ruby/Scala background I was struck by the lack of a modern website of the kind those languages have. I guess the open source community is great at producing such resources. I would certainly be willing to contribute but my Fortran skill is sadly lacking at this point (give me about 12 months...). I would encourage other members of the community to help out though. All the young programmers I work with here at University make heavy use of resources such as the python.org and r-project.org Maintaining a healthy Fortran community into the future will rely on efforts like this.

If you are learning Fortran and you come from Python (or similar
languages), then the page is exactly for you.
Please let me know if something is not clear or if you have ideas for
improvements.

Yes, I agree with you --- I am also young (still doing my PhD) and I
thought that Fortran is this old dying language and I was surprised
that actually it has all the modern things that I ever need. The
features are there, just sometimes "hidden" (i.e. known to experienced
Fortran programmers, but not to people like me who are learning
Fortran from online tutorials/pages). So my aim is to make them more
well-known and easily discoverable online.

Maybe another point is that I am not used to buying books --- in the
last 10 years I've learned all programming languages from online
tutorials/resources.

Ondrej