Carole Boyce Davies (ed), Claudia Jones: beyond containment, Banbury: Ayebia 2011

I re-met Carole at a conference in Oxford and she very kindly gave me a copy of her latest book on Claudia. So this is not a review, just a notice of the book’s existence. It is a compilation of Claudia’s writings (put together according to themes), including her poetry; but there is nothing from her London newspaper, the West Indian Gazette.  Each of the themed sections of her writings has a brief introduction, outlining the issues she was addressing. The political context in which Claudia lived and worked in the USA is fully set out in the Introduction by Boyce Davies, while Alrick Cambridge concludes the book by ‘assessing Claudia Jones’ politics’.