Hello,

Here's the tuppence worth of a Southeast Asian
archaeologist/archaeometallurgist:

- Scope: I recognise some of the concerns I have read about on this thread,
but in my (still limited) experience, HMS has been completely open-minded
as to subject matter and indeed was the ideal venue for a paper I have in
press on 8th century iron production in Laos; hardly the British Midlands,
and I'd like to see how long someone would last in full tweeds there! In
the Lao paper, I was not especially focussing on the iron smelting per se,
but rather the evidence for past economy and social organisation that
metallurgy can provide for populations that have generally very low
archaeological visibilty (think monsoons and most material culture being
made out of plant material). The paper was declined by a couple of
citation-indexed regional archaeological journals on the basis of being too
'technical' but HMS, following a very useful review process, saw fit to
accept. It seems to me that there is no particular problem of scope for the
journal, but rather, as others have noted, citation recognition etc.

- Online only?: It may be a generational issue, but I read all my articles
in PDF form - I don't think I've darkened the University of Oxford's
library door more than once or twice in three years. I'm not sure of the
balance between high quality page production and printing costs, but I
personally would be totally happy with an online only HMS journal, which
people can print in colour if they so chose.

- Subscription costs: I appreciate that there may be some exceptional
cases, but I'm an overseas subscriber and £20 is really very good value.
The student subscription is an absolute bargain and I encourage all my
students to sign up. As far as I know all of them pay for it themselves -
it being the equivalent of about 1.5 pints in London...

- Access to literature: Not an HMS issue directly, but in response to
Trevor Dunkerley's remark; I am sure that if those without institutional
access to literature were to send the occasional request for a PDF download
to the archmetals list they'd be sure to get a favourable response for
personal academic use.

Tuppence spent,
Oli Pryce

--
Thomas Oliver Pryce PhD AIfA

Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow at the Research Laboratory for
Archaeology and the History of Art
Dyson Perrins Building
South Parks Road
University of Oxford