I have been approached to produce the metals section of a revision of B.R.
Mitchell, British Historical Statistics.  I am (I hope) competent to produce
the material on the iron industry, but I am on less familiar ground in
dealing with non-ferrous metals.   The editors are having difficulty in
identifying anyone who can deal with them.  I have said that in principle I
will do this if no one else can be found, but feel that there may be some
one on one of these lists who knows a lot more than me and would either like
to tackle the non-ferrous statistics or collaborate with me on them.  The
editors are not looking for primary research to be undertaken.  The
objective is to provide a short introduction, followed by statistical
tables.

Obviously, the starting point is the Mineral Statistics, which start in
1845, and later sources.  There is a good series of tin from the coinage
records, but what is published in Mitchell stops in 1837, though I presume
the gap should be bridgeable.  However, copper and lead before 1845 are
clearly going to be difficult.  It may be that the information available is
so poor that there is little that is worth publishing.

Essentially I am looking for a volunteer.  No payment is offered, so that
this is on a pro bono basis.  I suspect that the similarity of the sources
(from the mid-19th century) will mean that collaboration will be better than
working separately.  I would suggest that replies to this should be sent to
me off-list (address below).  I will be passing them on to the editor.
However, this will not be until at least 10 days hence.

Dr Peter King

49, Stourbridge Road,

Hagley

Stourbridge