Dear colleagues,

Last year, we started a volunteer internet-based mentor programme for
Ph.D. students in statistics and probability at universities in
developing countries. The programme is sponsored by the International
Statistical Institute and the Bernoulli Society.

This program is carrying on, and and we will soon extend it to include
also mentoring of Master students in selected countries. This is
important, because some countries have only Master programmes in
statistics, but doesn't offer PhD studies.

We therefore need more senior statisticians as volunteer mentors. Please
also inform colleagues that can be interested in becoming a mentor,
wherever they are in your own or in other countries.

Specifically, for the moment we have two African PhD students waiting
for mentors within these fields

1) Nonlinear models with Garch error, fractional integration, Lstar,
Star-Garch

2) Neural networks, Network Information Criteria

More details are found at the web-page of the programme at
http://statmentoring.nr.no .

Best regards,

Magne Aldrin
Chief Research Scientist
Norwegian Computing Center, P.O. Box 114 Blindern, N-0314 Oslo, Norway
email: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.nr.no/~aldrin
tel: +47 22 85 26 58
Professor II, Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo

SIGNOFF allstat