______________________________________
From: Ivison Fiona (RW3) CMFT Manchester
Sent: 30 June 2012 21:37
To: Webster Craig
Subject: RE: Movement of secure data

I have some suggestions from colleagues on an online course:

"I think it depends on the degree of privacy you need.
- Why doesn't your colleague use USB flash memories?
Lack of data protection?
 He/she can use an encryption software, such as Truecrypt.org
- Another solution I would suggest is Dropbox. Arhive the documents in the Public folder, right click on file, copy public link.
Dropbox has encrypted connection between various devices and the central storage.
The archive could also be password protected with 7-zip."
"Yes USBs are possible but some organisations use software to ensure only their devices can be opened on their network. Encryption is not optional if there is is any identifiable information incuded! (this would also apply to CDs, DVDs, etc)

" Shared work area? can a protected area be set up so that it can be accessed from the other location?
 Use secure e-mail. Size limitations and file type restrictions are normally only triggered if the message is sent not created. They could create the message and save to draft - and then open their mail box at the other location. Message has not been sent and is safe on the mail server until opened but only available to the account holder.
 File compression tools - WINZIP etc can help and can also be used to encrypt to files when in transit (on moveable media or e-mail)"

 "Shared work area?
 It brings to think about VPN.
 If this practice will be often followed, you could setup a VPN server / secure gateway.
 VPN gateway example: Zyxel Zywall USG 20 / 50.
 Then you could access your files from anywhere.
 Prerequisites: Public IP, fixed public ip preferred."

I have some experience with dropbox - access to pdf files after logging in to a host site.  Seemed straightforward but I wasn't involved in setting up the access!

Hope this is helpful.
Fiona

Fiona Ivison FRCPath
Principal Biochemist
Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Oxford Rd
Manchester M13 9WL
0161 701 1203
07806 883960