This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help me with two queries:

*       We have been offered a 1943 baby's gas mask (identical to the one attached) that we would like to use for handling. I know that regular gas masks contain asbestos so are not suitable for handling. Do baby's gas masks also have the same problems? I have found the following article so I think it is highly likely they do but it would be good to know for sure http://www.objectlessons.org/conflict-and-protest-20th-century-to-present/baby-gas-mask-world-war-ii-original/s74/a973/
*       We have been offered a range of products from a local company (Stotherts) who made lotions and ointments. They are largely small tins (see attached image) that contain pastes. In such cases have you preserved the contents and packaging or just the packaging? If you have removed the contents how did you dispose of them? Some of the products we have been offered we already have examples of in the collection and our education team would like to use them for handling (and smelling!). Has anyone been faced with this and how did you find out whether this was safe?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jenny

Jennifer Broadbent
Collections Officer

Arts and Heritage (Culture)
Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust

Museum of Wigan Life
Library Street
Wigan
WN1 1NU

Telephone: 01942-827594 / 2594 (internal)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>Corporate Disclaimer<<
Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust
Registered office: Robin Park Headquarters, The Indoor Sports Centre, Loire Drive, Robin Park, Wigan, WN5 0UL.
Registered in England and Wales, Registration Number:- 04624607 Registered Charity Number:- 1105278 A company limited by guarantee.

Wigan Leisure & Culture Enterprises Limited
Registered office: Robin Park Headquarters, The Indoor Sports Centre, Loire Drive, Robin Park, Wigan, WN5 0UL.
Registered in England and Wales, Registration Number:- 4639273

For more information please visit   http://www.wlct.org

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager.

Email may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

WLCT is not a public body and is therefore not required to disclose this email or any response to it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, unless the contents contained relate to a statutory function that WLCT carries out on the council's behalf.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.
To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST