This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

What type of monitoring are you going to use?

We keep our winter temperature in 90% of our 2 buildings at between 15 C and 17C all the time. We need humidifiers in the winter but from mid May to
September nothing.  You may find you need humidification rather the dehumidification.  We are in a new built general unit. We try to keep the temperature as low as possible.  We have 3 humidifiers for 2 large units, and can keep the RH to between 45% and 55% for more than 90% of the time.  We have used dehumidifiers about twice in the wet autumn or wet spring. We normally need some humidification.

We use a Hanwell radio telemetry monitoring system which records every 15mins so you get a very accurate picture of what is going on night and day.
If you can keep the temperatures very low i.e. 15 C or 16 C  (National Trust - Conservation heating style ) you can achieve a much better control

The key in my view is to get the right type of Continuous monitoring, Hanwell radio telemetry system or Tiny tag (George Monger uses Tiny tag they are cheaper) or some other system - Preservation equipment Ltd or Conservation by Design sells this type of equipment

I am able to download in a CSV format & send you some of our data for you to look at if you like - they can be opened in an excel spreadsheet

Mary

J Mary Macqueen ACR
Museums & Heritage Officer: Conservation & Collections
Wakefield Council
Sport & Culture WMDC
Central Museum Store
Milner Way
OSSETT
WF5 9JE
phone01924 262717

mobile 07870859480

For further Information please visit:
www.experiencewakefield.co.uk<http://www.experiencewakefield.co.uk/>
www.wakefield.gov.uk<http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/>

The WMDC Disclaimer can be found at:

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/SiteInformation/E-MailDisclaimer/default.htm

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.
To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST