You are invited to a Linguistics workshop

(supported by HEA and hosted by the University of Winchester)

Research in linguistics and the undergraduate learning experience

Thurs 14th June,  at the University of Winchester

This workshop considers how we integrate research in linguistics into the undergraduate learning experience.  Our well-known speakers will discuss ways in which we might engage students in conducting research, in understanding the research process, and in developing research skills, sometimes in difficult topic areas. They will include discussion of tools, projects and initiatives to involve students as active participants in research across a range of areas of linguistics including applied linguistics, second language acquisition, English Language, psycholinguistics. We will consider challenges and solutions in bringing together research and teaching in our different areas of linguistics.  There will be opportunities at all points to share experiences through open discussion.

There is no charge for this workshop; lunch is provided.

For more details and to register, please email: [log in to unmask]

The programme (subject to adjustment)

9.45   Assemble in West Downs, the University of Winchester

10.15 Welcome/introduction

10. 45 Talk 1 (Dr Alison Sealey, University of Birmingham)

11.30 coffee

11.45 – 12.30 Talk 2 (Dr Emma Marsden, University of York)

12.30 Lunch

1.30 Talk 3 (Dr John Field, University of Bedfordshire)

2.15 Talk 4 (Prof Ros Mitchell, University of Southampton)

3.00 Talk 5 (Dr Carolin Esser-Miles & Prof Kris Spelman Miller, University of Winchester)

3.30 Discussion

4.00 Close

University of Winchester, a private charitable company limited by guarantee in England and Wales number 5969256.
Registered Office: Sparkford Road, Winchester, Hampshire SO22 4NR

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1