Community Histories, Social Change and Dialect Variation
Website: http://www.samkirkham.com/socioworkshop/
Venue: University of Sheffield, UK
Date: 1st June 2012
Registration deadline: 15th May 2012

We invite researchers working in sociolinguistics to participate in
Community Histories, Social Change and Dialect Variation, a one-day
workshop at The University of Sheffield on 1 June 2012. This event will
feature talks and activities led by Dr Lauren Hall-Lew (University of
Edinburgh) and Dr Devyani Sharma (Queen Mary University of London), as
well as a poster session highlighting current research in
sociolinguistics and language variation and change.

This workshop will provide an opportunity for postgraduates and early
career researchers to explore the relationship between language change
and social change in contemporary sociolinguistic research. We will
cover issues such as the influence of community histories on language
change, community members' representations of community histories, the
relationship between social history and the social meaning of linguistic
variables, language variation and ethnicity, and the role of
bilingualism in dialect change.

We would like to invite abstract submissions for the poster session. We
particularly welcome work-in-progress and posters that discuss language
variation and change with reference to social change and community
dynamics. Postgraduate students should feel particularly encouraged to
submit a poster abstract. If you would like to present a poster, please
fill in the relevant sections of the registration form (see web link).

For more information, registration, and poster submissions please visit
our web page: http://www.samkirkham.com/socioworkshop/

--
Sam Kirkham
PhD student, English Language and Linguistics

www.samkirkham.com