On 04/05/12 12:36, Alessandra Forti wrote:
> Isn't that equivalent to giving a 50-50 (assuming 2 CEs) weight to the
> different HS06 independently from the number of nodes? It doesn't seem
> really correct thing to do.

Mathematically you are correct.

However, it means that the grid does the maths[1]. I can say I have A
nodes with B hepspec and C nodes with D hepspec. When I add some
additional nodes, I can easily change it without digging out the
spreadsheet. In some sense, I think it's also interesting to publish the
nodes we have, rather than some weighted average.

To answer Stephen's point, jobs can't rely on which node they end up on
- so job requirements might not be met. However, the nodes we have have
fairly similar hepspec scores, and RAM/jobslot. Clearly they will have
different RAM/node, and indeed different MPI capabilities - but the
former is pretty irrelevant for the job, and the latter isn't currently
used. I'm pretty sure that's the way most people run their grid sites -
apart from anything else, it avoids jobs going to machines you've
switched off.

In summary, I think it's a point of style, and won't make any difference
in practice. I'm willing to be puersuaded otherwise.

Chris

[1] I'm sure that judicious use of expr would enable the yaim config
file to do the maths, but I haven't got around to coding that yet.