Hi again,

I wondered if the two interpretations are correct.

Take into account that I’m not using the PPI to establish directionality,
but I’m trying to interpret my PPI results according to the directionality
reported in the previous literature.

I know that if I perform the reversed PPI (using the target region as the
source, under condition B compared to condition A) is possible that I don´t
obtain results in the source region (to my understanding, due to the
variance in the target region and the source region may be not equal).
Nevertheless, a reviewer told me that, for example, in a positive PPI, I
can interpret both: first, the change in the region Y for any given change
in the region X is higher under condition A.  Conversely (and equivalently)
the change in the region X, for any given change in the region Y is lower
in condition A relative to condition B.

Following this discussion in SPM list:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1101&L=SPM&D=0&I=-3&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&P=766775

I think that the reviewer comment is correct (if not, please let me kwon).

Given that I don’t have a main effect, but a correlation with personality
scores I want to be sure that my interpretation is correct.

To be actually sure about my conclusions, I have some questions:

The first question is about the correlation between the PPI term and an
external variable. I do not have a significant main effect between two
regions in a PPI analysis, neither positive nor negative. If I do a
correlation with the contrast images of the PPI term extracted from a
condition A>B contrast, and I get a negative correlation with personality
scores... what does it means? For example, may I conclude that the
personality factor reduces the influence of the source region to target
region activity under the condition A in comparison with the condition B?

In relation to the first question, I have a second question:  is this
interpretation correct independently of whether the main effect for PPI in
the target region (tested with one sample T test) is positive, negative or
nothing (as in my data)?

Finally, the third question comes from the interpretation regarding the
previous literature. May I interpret my data in this way: the higher the
personality score, the higher the contribution from Y to X activity in
condition B relative to condition A? Or, in other words, the higher the
personality score, the lower the contribution from Y to X activity in
condition A relative to condition B?

Thank you very much in advance.

Victor.