Paolo,

I know this is not helpful but the obvious solution would be: if you are
interested in looking at a small region of the brain, then you should
collect high-resolution fMRI data. Whatever you do during spatial
normalization, your original resolution will basically be the best you
can achieve: there is not more information inherent in the data you
have. There was a paper in NeuroImage (PMID 11467900) in 2001 where the
Göttingen group looked at what you need to do fMRI of the amygdala, and
they concluded "Although high-resolution BOLD MRI is at the expense of
temporal resolution and volume coverage, it seems to provide the only
solution to this physical problem." Many things have changed since then,
but I would still second that.

Good luck,
Marko

Paolo Taurisano wrote:
> Dear SPMers
>
> I should performan fMRI study to investigate a very small area such as
> the lateral geniculum body. Currently I acquire a voxel size of 3.75
> x3.75x5 and normalize it into 2x2x2 voxel in spm. I'm worried about not
> being able to catch the signal from such a small area. I should adopt
> special procedures in the process of normalization?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Paolo

PD Dr. med. Marko Wilke
  Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
  Leiter, Experimentelle Pädiatrische Neurobildgebung
  Universitäts-Kinderklinik
  Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)

Marko Wilke, MD, PhD
  Pediatrician
  Head, Experimental Pediatric Neuroimaging
  University Children's Hospital
  Dept. III (Pediatric Neurology)

Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1
  D - 72076 Tübingen, Germany