I can confirm that I also sometimes get 0 spatial modes left when using group inversion for MSP, whether Mags only, Grads only or both (ie it appears to be the group inversion that is problematic). The same data gives reasonable inversions when I use MSP without group inversion (ie individual MSP), or MNM or COH. So it must be a problem with the realignment of leadfields; not the leadfields themselves (and I get the same problem whether I use single-shell or single-sphere forward models).

Unfortunately I haven't yet tracked down why this happens, because on other Neuromag datasets in the past, the group inversion worked fine. I have confirmed that the spm_eeg_invert function (in which the leadfield realignment is done) has not changed during that time, so I can only assume that something else "deep down" in the forward modelling (eg FieldTrip) functions has changed since then?

Note that I don't think it can be anything to do with the way the data is preprocessed (eg via SSS or SSP), because the MEG data are not used when realigning the leadfields. (Though note that, even if group inversion did work, any spatial adjustment done to the data, eg via SSS or SSP, should, in principle, also be applied to the forward modelling. I'm not sure what is done with any SSP vectors when SSS is applied, but assume that any such SSP vectors present are applied when the data are converted (via the FieldTrip-MNE FIF-reading functions) - and would hope they are also therefore stored somewhere so FieldTrip can adjust leadfields accordinly, but I think we would need advice from a FieldTrip expert....?)

Sorry not to be more help - I am still puzzling!

BW,R

DR RICHARD HENSON
Assistant Director for Neuroimaging
MRC Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit
15 Chaucer Road
Cambridge, CB2 7EF
England
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>