Dear Nick,

So sorry I didn't see this... March was rough and it got lost in the pile.

While it is not documented anywhere, 'exact permutation tests' are not possible with even a single nuisance regressor.  There have been a number of approximate methods proposed (I'm almost ready to submit a paper summarizing them) and SnPM implements one such approximate method.  So, the answer is: SnPM won't stop you from including an arbitrary number of nuisance regressors (as long as you have 1 or more DF), but the validity of the test will degrade with more and more regressors.  I'd base it on DF... as long as you have 20 or more DF, you can 'take liberties', but if you don't have much data, I'd use the fewest number of nuisance regressors you can get away with.

-Tom