Dear Charlotte,

the pure segmentation approach in VBM8 is quite similar to the FAST segmentation in FSL. Both use partial volume segmentation, denoising using Markov Random Fields and don't rely on prior probability maps. One additional step that is applied in VBM8 is the filtering with the non-local means filter that is substantially reducing noise in your data before segmentation.
The differences in the spatial normalization techniques are maybe larger. VBM8 (and SPM8 of course) allow to use a diffeomorphic high-dimensional registration based on the DARTEL approach, either by creating an own template or by using the template that is provided with VBM8. FSL is based on a nonlinear registration called FNIRT, that is not diffeomorphic by construction (but ensures that deformation fields are diffeomorphic). The diffeomorphism guarantees that the registration is invertible.
However, I would suggest to make a decision based on your experience. If you are more familiar with SPM then VBM8 will be straightforward to use. If you already use FSL then I would rather use FSL-VBM.

Best,

Christian

Christian Gaser, Ph.D.
Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology
Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena
Jahnstrasse 3, D-07743 Jena, Germany
Tel: ++49-3641-934752	Fax:   ++49-3641-934755
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de