It looks like you have the latest version. I'll try to take the time to have a closer look at my code to see if I can figure out the real cause.

Best regards,
-John

On 9 May 2012 17:27, shahrzad kharabian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks a lot.

I am using "Version 4290 (SPM8) 04-Apr-11" and I have exported "affine transformed" GM and WM from VBM8 toolbox "estimate and write" to DARTEL module (as it was suggested in VBM8 tutorial!). Could it cause the mentioned instability?!

Also, to Khader, the data is a mixture of healthy and non-healthy(in different stages of disease), old women. I have not checked the white matter lesions yet. So I have no idea about it and also subjects are rather in the same age range. BTW, thanks a lot, these are good points that I could look at them and search on them in future:)

cheers,
Shahrzad

From: John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [SPM] Dartel template

As Satra pointed out, the final template seems to be OK.  I therefore
think your overall alignment should be fine.

Which version of SPM8 did you use (and did you use more than the usual
GM and WM tissues)?  The problem is the result of an instability in
the way the template is smoothed, which I have occasionally seen.  As
far as I was aware though, I thought I'd fixed it in the more recent
SPM8 updates.

The smoothing is not the usual sort of smoothing that involves
convolving with a Gaussian.  Instead, the idea was to smooth by
including a regularisation model in the generation of the template,
which regularises more heavily in the earlier iterations and less in
the later ones.  Computations are only done with single precision
floating point, so it is a bit more difficult to ensure the various
computations are 100% stable (while still reasonably fast)

Best regards,
-John