Dear SPM experts,

I have conducted VBM analyses in SPM8 both with and without the use of a
mask. The issue I am facing is that I am encountering blobs outside the
brain (see figure 1 for results without a mask and figure 2 for results
with a mask).

While I understand from previous posts on the mailing list and Ridgway
et al.'s 2012  paper that this is a common issue, I do not understand
why this is still occurring when I apply a mask. From my understanding
the mask should limit the search space to that area specified and no
results should occur outside the mask area.

The images were processed using the DARTEL protocol and the mask was
normalized to the SPM T1 template.

I have checked the mask by overlaying it onto the T1 template and it
appears to fit perfectly.

Has anyone else experienced issues with blobs outside the brain when a
mask was applied? If so how did you deal with it?

I would very much appreciate any help, suggestions or explanations.

Sincerely,

Moyra Mortby

Dr des. Moyra Mortby

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

CENTRE for RESEARCH on AGEING, HEALTH and WELLBEING

ANU College of Medicine, Biology & Environment

Building 63, Eggleston Road

THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY

ACT 0200 Australia
T +61 2 6125 8413  |  F +61 2 6125 0733