There are still 3 potential issues:
(1) the HRF is not accounted for in this approach. This can be solved with simple convolution. This would make the approach substantially better.

(2) the BOLD response estimates for each condition will be the covariate-adjusted mean BOLD rather than the actual BOLD response. As long it is clear that the interpretation of the BOLD response changes, then the approach should be okay.

(3) you probably need to account for subject differences in the mean covariate. I'm not sure how this is effected by the covariate adjusted BOLD response estimates.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren
Office: (773) 406-2464
This e-mail contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION which may contain PROTECTED HEALTHCARE INFORMATION and may also be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of the e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are in possession of confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail unintentionally, please immediately notify the sender via telephone at (773) 406-2464 or email.