Dear Becky,

OK - thx for FAIR/FIAR resolution :-)

You may have a local minima problem - but it may be too early to jump to this conclusion.

Given that you know the true parameters you should check (i) are they within the range of the priors (See spm_dcm_fmri_priors.m) - if not the optimisation algorithm will never find them, (ii) are the parameter estimates DCM.Ep close to the true values, esp important for the connections that are different between models.

It may also be the case that the models are not identifiable given single subject data. This is sometimes the case for event related designs which may lack power (same reasoning as for GLM analyses), and one can only identify the models at the group level.

Its probably a good idea to use spm_dcm_generate etc as Martin suggested.

Best, Will.