Dear Becky,

So, to summarise, you have 3 models which I'll call (i) intrinsic connections
with correct direction (CD), (ii) intrinsic connections with incorrect direction (ID) and (iii) a union of the two which has both sets of connections (U).

Your results are that U wins, even though CD is the correct model.

With a 'glass half full' perspective this result is at least reassuring in that ID does not win.

Is CD more likely than ID ?

One feature we've noticed about model comparison is that it is harder to find in favour
of a nested model than its parent when the nested model is true (see eg. scales in Figure 8 of [1]) than it is to find in favour of the parent model when the nested one
is true (see eg Figure 7 of [1]). So your results are consistent with this.

Best, Will.

[1] W. Penny (2011). Comparing Dynamic Causal Models using AIC, BIC and Free Energy. Neuroimage Available online 27 July 2011.