On Mon, 21 May 2012 00:46:26 -0400, "MCLAREN, Donald"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Maryam Ziaei <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear SPM ers;
>>
>> I have some questions regarding the confusion due to reading so many
>>
>> I have 5 conditions in my study with two groups of old and young
people.
>> Thanks God that I'm not interested in comparing all conditions,
therefore
>> in the first level I built a contrast let's say condition 2-baseline (0
>> 1 0
>> 0 -1)=A and condition 4 - baseline (0 0 0 1 -1)=B
>> Then in group level I used these contrasts to compare between young and
>> old in full factorial design, because I want to see the interaction.
So,
>> here are my questions:
>>
>> 1. Is the way of defining my first level contrasts correct or should I
>> use
>> Imcalc? the results are different.
>>

> They are fine.
>

>> 2. why in second level analysis some people build contrast like 1 0,
the
>> sum of contrast should be equal to zero, does it depend to the
hypothesis
>> or it is a rule?
>>

> It depends on the null hypothesis.
>

>> 3. in full factorial condition, I'm interested to see if old group
showed
>> greater activation than young group, should I use t-test instead of
>> F-test?
>> the results are different as well (as one would expect).
>>

> Assuming that you only used one contrast image per subject, you will
have
> two columns. Since you have a directional hypothesis, you should use a
> t-test. An f-test will show you where either group is greater than the
> other. The inference from an f-test is 2-sided; whereas in SPM, the
> inference from the t-test is one-sided.
>

>> 4. IF I wanna use the contrasts A and B to see where are the common
areas
>> in those condition across groups, should I use conjunction analysis, if
>> yes, if conjunction analysis is the same as using inclusive mask?
>>

> I usually create 2 maps. One for contrast A and one for contrast B. Once
> you save the thresholded maps; use imcalc to compute the overlap of the
> significant voxels (i1>0+2*(i2>0)). The overlap will have values of 3.
>

>> The responses would be appreciated alot
>> --
>> **********************
>> Maryam Ziaei
>> PhD Student
>> Department of Psychology (Cognitive Science)
>> Stockholm University
>> Tel: +46-8-163845
>> Fax: +46-8-159342
>> Alternative Email: [log in to unmask]

Thanks alot for the responses;
To make sure I understood it correctly, I made map with con images for
each group separately for the interested contrast at 0.0001, then use the
functions that you mentioned and then use the output in the group level
analysis as an explicit mask. is that the way it should be done? If I do
this can I write in my paper I use conjunction analysis or I should use the
term of mask?
To follow up, what are the differences between the way that you explained
for the conjunction analysis and the way of selecting different contrasts
and selecting conjunction analysis while you want to define contrast (as it
asks for 'null hypo. to assess? conjunction, global and intermed )  with
the way that you suggest?

Thanks again for your helpful responses
--