Dear Ce,

> Let's say we have two sets of scan from the same subject group obtained
> from two time points and we are interested to see the structural
> difference between the two time points.
>
> When using dartel to do the preprocessing, is it necessary or
> appropriate to create templates for each scan sets respectively and then
> normalise to MNI space?

This post from a couple of years back is a helpful overview of
longitudinal analyses using DARTEL:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=spm;e575c4c9.1010

One additional non-SPM option for longitudinal analysis is ANTS:

http://www.picsl.upenn.edu/ANTS/

which I know has had some success looking at longitudinal change (e.g.
Avants et al., 2009).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jonathan

Reference:

Avants B, Khan A, McCluskey L, Elman L, Grossman M (2009) Longitudinal
cortical atrophy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with frontotemporal
dementia. Archives of Neurology 66:138-139.

--
Dr. Jonathan Peelle
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience and