Providing you are not planning a second level analysis that involves
making comparisons among groups of subjects, it should be OK to use
slightly different approaches to spatially normalise your images  -
providing you are clear about this in any resulting publications.

Using the T1w images for inter-subject alignment will only work well
if your fMRI data are not too distorted.  If they are distorted, then
deformations estimated from the T1w (without large distortions) will
be less accurate for your fMRI.  For this reason, some people try to
segment their fMRI, and use Dartel to align the resulting tissues.  Of
course, this is unlikely to work for all fMRI scans as they vary
considerably in terms of contrast, artifact, resolution, FoV etc.

Another option would be to try to segment the T1w scans for those
subjects with them, and the T2w scans of the others, and align the GM
from the subjects together using Dartel.  One slight problem that you
may encounter is that the segmentation may identify GM differently in
T1w images compared to what it does with T2w images.

Best regards,
-John