Dear Gao

You are right to observe that apparent laterality differences (or other
differences in regional distribution of activity) between age groups (or
indeed between other participant or drug treatment groups, or tasks) may
reflect thresholding artefacts.

The approach you mention might support this possibility, although it might
be difficult to motivate the assumption that the 'top 1000' voxels are
comparable between groups. You might also inspect unthresholded SPMs.

A simpler and more usual approach is to test a region x condition
interaction. This is normally done by extracting the parameter estimates
from a voxel or region of interest and performing an ANOVA outside SPM. For
laterality comparisons it is relatively unproblematic, as it is assumed
that neural-BOLD coupling is equivalent.

Good luck!

Alexa

--
Dr. Alexa Morcom

Centre for Cognitive & Neural Systems
Centre for Cognitive Ageing & Cognitive Epidemiology
Psychology, University of Edinburgh
http://www.ccns.sbms.mvm.ed.ac.uk/people/academic/morcom.html

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336