Nicola,
    Not at all  - it is part of the issue and is also realted to question of generic or research leadership development.  I wonder if the real issue is not generic projects (research or othersie) vs research but generic vs academic research projects.

Graham

-----Original Message-----
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicola Reimann
Sent: 16 May 2012 11:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Project Management

Colleagues,

Could I add to Graham's question: On our PGCert for new academics we have now got a module which focuses on researcher development. This incorporates the development of research project management skills. The issue I have been grappling with is whether we should focus on introducing participants to generic project management tools and techniques, or whether we should offer something which is specific to RESEARCH project management. This raises the question whether and in what way research projects are different to other projects. This in turn is reminiscent of the debates about generic versus discipline specific dimensions of L&T.

I'd be grateful for any insights, materials, contacts etc. which you may want to share.

Graham, I hope you don't mind my adding this question to yours.

Regards
Nicola

Dr. Nicola Reimann
Programme Leader
CPD Academic Practice Programme & PGCert in Higher Education Practice

Room 026, Sutherland Building
Northumberland Road
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST
0191- 243 7098