Here are the quotations for the coming week (May 27th to June 2nd):

1. '...I made haste, the river aiding me, but ere I had
touched the shoal, the pulse of the stream beat, as it were, within me and
around, and, behold, the shoal was gone, and I rode high on the crest of a wave
that ran from bank to bank…the rain came and lashed the water white, and I heard
no more save the roar of the waters below and the roar of the rain above…'

2. "...A tarred road, she shoots every
drop o' water into a valley same's a slate roof. 'Tisn't as 'twas in the old
days, when the water soaked in and soaked out in the way o' nature. It rooshes
off they tarred roads all of a lump, and naturally every drop is bound to
descend into the valley..."

3. ...There
was not so much a roar as the purposeful drive of a tide across a jagged reef,
which put down every other sound for twenty minutes. A wide sheet of water
hurried up to the little terrace on which the house stood, pushed round every
corner, rose again and stretched, as it were, yawning beneath the moonlight,
joined other sheets waiting for them in unsuspected hollows, and lay out all in
one. A puff of wind followed...

The sources os last week's extracts (May 20th to 26th) are as follows:
1.  (...Young Ottley jumped into the cab and turned off all the steam he could find,)   This is from "The Bold 'Prentice" in Land and Sea Tales
2.  (.... Men—hot and angry—crawled among and between and under the thousand wheels...)  This is from ".007" in The Day's Work.
3.  (...The six-foot drivers were hammering their way to San Bernardino and the Mohave wastes, but this was no grade for speed...)  This is from Captains Courageous.
In the New Readers' Guide we have just published a majot article by Susan Treggiari on "Kipling and the Classical World".
Good wishes to all
John R