From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Alastair Greig
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: austerity and growth

Tony,

You seem to be asking if econometrics has ever attempted to examine whether government expenditure has an effect on growth.  Pretty much all econometric models are designed to do that!!!!

If I recall correctly, I am sure you will be shocked to discover the emprical literature was mixed (depends on method, variables, time period, etc) and leaves enough scope for Keynesians and Neoliberals to through muck at each other.

Alastair

Dear Alastair

I was puzzled, some years ago, when a university department (I shan’t divulge which) asked me to advise a postgraduate economics student. I had not previously ventured beyond maths, stats, medicine and the sciences.

I read, re-read and re-read again all his tuff. Stuff it was. It was stuffed with sesquipedalian prolixity.

No algebra in sight, yet he talked grandly about his model.

The university awarded him a PhD.

Since then, I have steered away from economics, perhaps wrongly and misjudgedly.

Political economists write articles in newspapers about national growth.  To me, growth implies the use of differential equations.

So when you say that “Pretty much all econometric models are designed to do that!” I must ask where can I see the latest models?

Also:  on what data and analysis are they evidenced?

Cheers

Tony