Dear psci-commers

There are a few things going on at the Grant Museum of Zoology that may be of interest to list members in London, starting with tonight’s event which kicks off our Summer Term evening events programme (Silly Season)…

Call My Bluffalo

JZ Young Theatre, Anatomy Building, University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
Tuesday 1st May, 6.30pm

What’s a thagomizer? It sounds more like a ray gun than the spike on the end of a dinosaur’s tail. Why was a trilobite scientifically named Han solo?  Zoologists and palaeontologists have invented some genuinely ridiculous names for body parts and animal groups and species. Join our collection of friendly scientists for this light-hearted panel game. Which one of them is telling the truth, and who has invented their definition of the bizarre zoological words we’ve given them? Can you call their bluff-alo?

The panel consists of:

Dr Ian Barnes (Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour, Royal Holloway University of London)

Dr Anjali Goswami (Genetics, Evolution and the Environment, UCL and Earth Sciences, UCL)

Dr Victoria Herridge (Palaeontology Department, Natural History Museum)

Prof. Kate Jones (Genetics, Evolution and the Environment, UCL and Institute of Zoology)

Part of Silly Season at the Grant Museum. The event is followed by a free drinks reception in a private view of the Museum. This event is free and there is no need to book.

Silly Season

We take our science very seriously at the Grant Museum, but just because we’re talking about proper zoology doesn’t mean that we can’t have some fun with it. In news and politics summer is known as “Silly Season” – something we are embracing with an eclectic mix of unusual events. Join us this term as we enjoy exploring the animal world and our collections through a panel game, film night, treasure hunt, hands-on activities and a curatorial show-and-tell. The whole programme can be seen here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums/zoology/whats-on

Definitely not part of Silly Season, but still very exciting, is our brand new exhibition, which looks rather splendid…

Buried on Campus

23rd April – 13th July, Mon-Fri 1-5pm

A huge mass of human bones was discovered in UCL during construction work in 2010. This installation displays the investigations undertaken to discover what they are and why they were buried. Remains of at least 84 individual people and many animals have been identified. Uncover where they came from and what we can learn from them in this unusual exhibition co-curated by UCL forensic anatomists and osteologists.

Admission is free and there is no need to book. There is a special Saturday opening on 12th May 11am-4pm

All the best

Jack Ashby

Manager

Grant Museum of Zoology

Rockefeller Building

University College London

21 University Street

London WC1E 6DE

Web: www.grant.museum.ucl.ac.uk

Blog: https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/

020 3108 2052 (or 52052 from within UCL)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCL-Museums-and-Collections/352538109391

http://twitter.com/@GrantMuseum

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]