Dear all,

Just a reminder about our next seminar which is this Wednesday 30th May. We are very pleased to have Felicity Mellor (Imperial College London, Science Communication Unit) talking about her work on, and analysis of, the recent impartiality review of the BBC's science programming.

Details of the seminar are below.

All welcome. If you'd like to join the email list then please contact Simon Lock.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Professor Martin Bauer, Dr Simon Lock, Dr Jane Gregory

Date, Time and Location:
Wednesday 30th May 2012
16.15-18:00

Venue: St Clement's, S314, LSE
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/mapsAndDirections/findingYourWayAroundLSE.htm

Speaker: Felicity Mellor (Imperial College London)

Title: Off balance? The impartiality review of the BBC’s science coverage.

Abstract:
In 2010, the BBC Trust commissioned a review of the accuracy and impartiality of the BBC’s science coverage. This seminar will examine how the notion impartiality applies to science journalism by drawing on the results of a content analysis conducted as part of the BBC’s impartiality review. I will argue that commentators often adopt a narrow interpretation of impartiality as balance which has over-simplified debates about the media coverage of topics such as climate change. The findings of the content analysis raise questions about the sourcing strategies and transparency of the BBC’s science reporting which, I suggest, are important to ensuring impartiality.

Future seminars - 2011/12 Session:

20th June - Alfred Moore, University of British Columbia, on epistemic disobedience

About the Seminar Series
The London PUS seminar is an interdisciplinary intercollegiate seminar concerned with the broad range of topics that fall under the headings of public understanding of science, public engagement with science, science communication, and science-in-society.  It has been run jointly between LSE and UCL since 1993 and is open to all. Our participants predominantly come from a wide range of academic disciplines, and the science policy and science communication/public engagement communities. It is currently supported by the Public Understanding of Science journal published by SAGE and the Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL.
Dr Simon J Lock
Teaching Fellow in STS
Global Citizenship Study Abroad Programme Co-ordinator

Department of Science and Technology Studies
UCL
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

020 7679 3763  (internal: x33763)
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/staff/lock<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/staff/lock>
twitter: @simonjlock

STS Goes Global! Study Abroad Year in Global Citizenship at UCL:
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/global-citizen<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/global-citizen>