Dear all,

Sensing there may be a gap I have started up a network for volunteer managers in STEM organizations.  Whilst there are various networks for STEM people and for volunteer managers, I have, in conversation with others, been finding that the way STEM organizations involve volunteers can be quite different from other charitable organizations.  A dedicated network for us therefore seems a useful way to exchange problems, solutions and ideas as well as volunteer management best practice.

As the focus is on volunteers rather than STEM I have created a group within the volunteering social network ivo.org.  You can find the group here: http://ivo.org/volt  It is a private group so that we can be free to bounce around ideas but I will most happily welcome you into the fold upon request.  Those who attended the Science Communication Conference volunteering session will already have heard about this.

The ivo site has extra benefits for volunteer managers, regardless of sector, as it can be used to promote volunteering opportunities, network with other volunteer managers, create blogs, join webinars, participate in Thoughtful Thursday, and generally share good practice.  I hope that by joining you will get more out of it than just my new network.

So the group is for anyone working with volunteers directly, working on volunteering strategies, or other representatives of organizations involving volunteers who wish to talk more about it.

The name Volt is a working title as I’m apparently not creative enough to think of something snappy.  I want to avoid STEM and v (both jargon), rather have a single word or two that reflects the dynamism of STEM as well as the ethos of volunteering.  Some suggestions already include VOLocity, Scienteering, STEMvolve.  Please feel free to suggest!

Best wishes,

Pamela

_____________________________________

The Collective Memory aims to bring together what works in public engagement with the sciences – do you have a great project to share? Or are you curious to see what others have learnt from their public engagement projects? Check out collectivememory.britishscienceassociation.org to find out what’s going on: share, learn and get in contact.

Pamela Buchan

Volunteering Development and Regional Officer (NW)

c/o British Science Association

Wellcome Wolfson Building

165 Queen’s Gate

London, SW7 5HD

T: 07811 756888

E. [log in to unmask]

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/NorthScience

Website: www.britishscienceassociation.org/northofengland

British Science Association is the operating name and registered trademark of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. Registered charity 212479 and SC039236

I am now part time.  My usual working days are Monday and Tuesday all day with a third day split over the rest of the week.

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on behalf of
the British Science Association (http://www.britishscienceassociation.org)
********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]