Hi

Marie’s thesis  got me “researching Finland” and exploring the “the politics of learning” -  you may want to see in attachment Pasi Sahlberg (2012) “A Model Lesson Finland Shows Us What Equal Opportunity Looks Like”. In the context of developing a “living theory praxis”, and a concern with “self, other and social formations”, I am particularly interested in this comment on page 27, “it is hard to imagine how Finland’s educational success could be achieved or maintained without reference to the nation’s broader and commonly accepted system of distinctive social values that more individualistic and inequitable societies may find it difficult to accept”. This suggests a need in our theorising to somehow connect the “I, we and system” (a concern with ontological values, social values and educational influence)  – Ken Wilber’s “integral theory of consciousness” / 4 quadrants ‘I, We, It, Its’ may be useful here (please see attachment).

Lawrence

From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Martin Olivier
Sent: 29 May 2012 10:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do i~we explain our educational influences in learning to improve our educational influences as practitioner-researchers within the social and other formations that dynamically include us?

Hi Marie

I am particularly interested in the significance of page 161 of your thesis - “  …   I want to contribute to bringing an inclusive, emancipated and egalitarian world into being, I can see that I can learn from the Finnish work, whereas I struggle with a lot of the research of England and the USA, which reflects the normative background of extrinsic values reflected, for instance, in the promotion of competition, self interest, and economic rationalism”.

Lawrence