Yes, it seems strange to say it, but the Geoffrey Hill of 2012 vintage *needs
an editor*. The opening poem of Odi Barbare has some wonderful lines, not
in the stanza quoted though, and others which should have been safely
buried in a pets' cemetery.

'verdictive', as I'd remarked, was a coinage by the ex-MI6 man and Oxford
philosopher J.L.Austin, who believed in *traditional* language, so much so
he also inflicted 'performative', the beats-all-comers pseud's corner word
in modern poetry talk, to the poor battered world.

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw
"We are shallow, mababaw ang kaligayahan."