Having taken one day off, I see a bunch of poems here. I found yours powerful, Dominic, even before I read about Ahsan.

I take David's point, in that it was the one word that stopped me, & which I would have to go look up. But I think the way you connect the I to the we here, & so implicate us all is especially interesting...

Doug
On 2012-05-26, at 5:38 PM, Dominic Fox wrote:

> FOR TALHA AHSAN
>
> We - poets -
> are feckless creatures.
> The perfections of scripture
> are not in our line -
>
> I say scripture: recitation,
> perfection of recitation, the voice aligned
> at once with its deepest impulse, everything
> coming out right -
>
> We stammer our verdictives, on which force
> pivots, may lose its balance. I'm not sure
> that's what you need to hear.
> I would be with you
>
> somehow, if in profession only.
> It is one thing to be the fool
> we all are, another to be taken
> for an asset. Oh Talha, by the mercy
>
> of whatever God, come through in safety;
> by men's mercy, though it cannot be
> depended on, be plucked out from the eye
> of tyranny; be back amongst us soon.
>
> ---
>
> (for context, see http://freetalha.org/)

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations & Continuations 2 (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=962
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

Why can’t words mean what they say?