I felt the article had a certain US-centric leaning, rather like a house
about to fall into the sea. It begins acknowledging the existence of other
cultures in the dim past, and some antique Brits have a passing mention,
but then follows what conveys a curious sense that everything only mattered
as a lead up to recent American literature (other languages get only the
most fragmentary attention - a 1960s poem in Bengali is cited)  which
literature, American in the sense of US American, also acts as a home for
'marginalised persons' (is it? really?) even though almost the only
contemporary poem mentioned (certainly the only one at any length)  is
Walcott's Omeros - forgetting that he writes in a somewhat European
tradition (iambic pentameters included) and, although black, isn't exactly
what one thinks of as a 'marginalised' person.
I'm particularly concerned about the appropriation of the marginalised -
all the time about me I see conformity-minded middle-class writers
colonising the identities of oppression, crippling thus the crippled. While
I don't wish oppose 'European' or 'British' to US 'American', it's rather
that I fear 'American' here becomes a metaphoric denial of that very
exclusion it feeds on.

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw
"We are shallow, mababaw ang kaligayahan."