I have learned a great deal from my MSc in mental health at work and together with having recently heard about the FOM audit on communication between OH and GPs, I think that you may have a few more things up your sleeve that may be constructive at this stage. It was clear from the audit that 99% of GPs wanted more communication with OH by letter (not email or phone unless an emergency). And by this they did not mean requests for reports.

This suggests that the GP may welcome you writing with your concerns, informing them of what you have done, the potential for modifications and the potential risk to both recovery and employment if the employee continues to be disengaged with the process of returning to work. You only need a GP address to write and not necessarily written consent though informing them is a good idea.

It is a normal human reaction to avoid things that cause us anxiety. The fact that this person has become agoraphobic suggests that this tendency has already gone far into the disordered area of this problem. OH has been put in that same category now obviously. It isn't personal and you shouldn't think that you are doing a bad job just because of this.

However, I suggest you persist to a degree by perhaps using some appreciative inquiry questions in writing that they can consider without needing to provide an immediate response e.g.

"I understand that this is becoming increasingly difficult for you. However, all the clinical evidence suggests that if we don’t continue to help you through this, the chances of prolonging your distress is increased not decreased. I am sure you wold like to see yourself well and back at work sometime in the foreseeable future.

You need to know that I am happy to be flexible about the way we communicate if that would set your mind at some ease. we can catch up by phone or in writing. I am required by our mutual employer to do what I can to keep them informed of how things are going by translating the medical issues into management speak and I cannot do that if we aren't talking. when and if you return to work there are lots of ways to ease you back in and even though this may sound like an impossible thing to consider, many people have been through similar experiences and have gone on to safely return to work with the help of people like me.

At this stage, I would like to write to your doctor and tell them about all the things we can do to help so that they also know and plan accordingly. Later, it might be helpful if your doctor can let me know their thoughts but I will only request a report with your knowledge and written consent. ………."

Always worth a try.

Sue

Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7405 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568

Please be advised that all e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process will be printed and entered into the individual's OH file or copied and added as an electronic note on their electronic OH record. This may therefore be disclosed under the Data Protection Act (1998).

Description: Description: Description: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHSfind us on: Description: Description: Description: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsChsFqd6U1kdxrRMie4Z_LZI4ASd7SvOeEA2lNi-io3atQApnRg  Description: cid:image003.jpg@01CD2F94.5A945BF0  Description: Description: Description: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3aA5dj--g7W-qMnGpS20jwBRvcnBuqIA8FlcIQucFlsfPc_5k Description: Description: Description: blog-button shop:Description: Description: Description: http://www.london2amsterdam.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/great-ormond-street-hospital-charity.jpg