From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Wendy Stimson Ladd
Sent: 24 May 2012 14:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Food for thought....

Hi All

I was just writing a report  - won't go into the case, but basically
woman referred for frequent short term sickness absence, young daughter
with 'disability' and I recalled a case where someone won a claim for
discrimination re dependants disability, was just googling to get my
facts straight for my recommendations and this was one of the sites I
came to:

http://www.harbottle.com/hnl/pages/articles/the_equality_act_and_disable
d_employees.php

"Employers should be aware of the wider protection against
discrimination employees will now enjoy.

Employees with caring responsibilities for the disabled and elderly
already have rights to request flexible working and to reasonable time
off to deal with emergencies in respect of dependents. In addition to
heeding these rights, to avoid age and/or disability discrimination
claims employers must now ensure that such employees are not treated
less favourably because of their caring responsibilities.

 Employers who may not be aware of their employee's caring
responsibilities should encourage employees to provide such information
from the outset of employment and ensure that open lines of
communication are maintained so they can keep abreast of the extent of
the employee's caring responsibilities, which may change over time"

Which begs the question should OH ask about dependants when we ask the
'4 questions' at employment, or maybe Recruitment should ask - is it
asked at all?!

Kind regards

Wendy

Wendy Stimson RGN RSCPHN (OH)

Director

AWL Occupational Health Ltd:

Occupational Health and Workplace Mediation
Tel: 01293 532477

Mob: 07814 288642
www.awloh.co.uk <http://www.awloh.co.uk/>

Based in West Sussex

AWL Occupational Health Ltd is a company registered in England and
Wales.

Registered number: 7380521

Registered office:The Meridian, 4 Copthall House, Station Square,
Coventry CV1 2FL

******************************** Please remove this footer before
replying.

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.

All messages sent to and from South Staffordshire Water PLC
may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect
our business.

E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed or contain viruses. Anyone communicating
with us by e-mail is taken to accept these risks.

South Staffordshire Water PLC
Green Lane, Walsall, WS2 7PD
Registered in England No. 2662742

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: