From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hawkins, Matthew X
Sent: 23 May 2012 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Multi-touch devices

Dear list,

Can anyone advise on the approaches they are taking to manage the risks from multi-touch devices, e.g. ipads, which are now being used with increased frequency for daily work tasks?

The DSE Regs apply to this type of device, defined as a 'portable system in prolonged use'. However, in application terms, the guidance to the Regs really focuses on laptops, not touch screen devices.
The application of general ergonomic principles through training and subsequent self-assessment, etc., (in compliance terms) is an obvious way to go, but does anyone have any other approaches for this emerging technology that the Regs haven't caught up with?

I also haven't found a great deal of literature pertaining to the health effects of these hazards, as naturally they haven't been around long enough for long term effects to necessarily manifest (even though the potential problems are fairly obvious), but if anyone can direct me to some, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

This is a confidential email. Tesco may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco.

Tesco Stores Limited
Company Number: 519500
Registered in England
Registered Office: Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire EN8 9SL
VAT Registration Number: GB 220 4302 31

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: