I think that its for 10 min periods about once/twice a day, not sure there are more than a couple doing this, and I seem to think that this has arisen out of "tradition" rather  than need, its a high stress environment. I also think that the current providers are a bit nervy about stopping it for fear of ructions/people going off. I can just about see the logic but wouldnt be happy not being able to use all my dept because someone was having a kip.....

Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 13:11:39 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Insomnia
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Sharon

I suppose ultimately it’s the decision of the employer.  If they think it is a reasonable adjustment (whether Equality Act applies or not) then fine but saying this is keeping people at work sounds a bit limp to me – almost like they’re at work but not really doing much.   Also, how often are these power naps taking place?  Surely they should be keeping people working and productive and I’m sure this would be a step too far for many businesses, particularly in current economic times.  I think most of my clients would want them out so that they can employ someone else who doesn’t need a nap.  They would kick the “keeping people in work” argument into touch very quickly by pointing out that that is exactly what they are doing – just people who can work a full day as opposed to people who can’t.

Interesting one though.

Lindsey