I did one, , last one ever hopefully about 2 years ago. Complex issue where the individual was suspended, had probably been treated not as well as they could have been by management and it was someone with whom I had many dealings in the past. During suspension she presented a sicknote from the GP citing mental health issues. Because of the complexity of the situation the investigating officer (who was getting a bit wobbly about the process) asked for my input (and not to declare her fit for attending meetings etc by the way), this was coupled with her desperate phone calls to me so I was persuaded. With hindsight I went not even sure what I was meant to do, this is a mistake I will not repeat Upshot was my input wasnt really as an OH person, I ended up as some form of mediator between the investigating team, the individual and the unions as I am long in the tooth and well versed on how processes should work, actual clinical input was minimal as all that was needed was someone with the balls to tell people to get their act together and get on with it. Doubtless worked well for the individual ultimately, the investigation rightly concluded in her favour and she returned to work with support. However during my visit I was "ambushed" by her very angry and hostile family who saw me as a "management tool/agent" and let me have it both if not 3 or 4 barrels. I am a tough old bird who can stand my ground, but for many that experience could have been very distressing - I cant pretend that I did not feel very shakey afterwards. Previous to that was one of my favourite OH stories, funny now but not at the time - a home visit about 10 years ago with a lady who said "you`re a nurse arent you? can you have a look at my husband as I dont think he`s well...." and was faced with a stark naked hubby, requisite erection and covered in blood from where he had been doing gawd knows what. The ambulance guys that I called in panic smirked at me,   said they did it regularly to unsuspecting visitors, double glazing salesmaen, estate agents etc and carted naked-bloke off with a cynical air......The lady in question had requested a home visit and this was accomodated by her employer, she had actually been at work in the morning and had been given the afternoon off to see the OH lady, there was no justification for it apart from hubby wanting to expose himself I suppose.   OH - well its never boring is it?  Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 23:55:46 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Home visists
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear List

How interesting -I agree with Sharon. Really cannot see any situation when I would consider a home visit.  We use telephone consultations which witht any additional consultants advice should clarify information  for HR. If the individual is unable to attend OH then they are unable to attend work so it will be and management decision ultimately.

Most of us have high workload and home visits are the role of the GP , district nurse or HR.

Jean