 I do wonder sometimes, I think I do a good job, but "treatment" should really ideally rest within the domain of the NHS. In my world I am increasingly taking on that role - long since evolved from my days of a "factory nurse" but in order to maintain operational efficiency we now provide a more sophisticated network of services like physio, counselling and have in the past funded investigations like MRI scans. Local GPs tell our employees that they have a better chance of accessing physio etc via "occ health" than via the system that is meant to be providing us all with healthcare "from the cradle to the grave". I dare say that GPs will have the view that if it is work that has caused a problem then work should sort it out, and its a valid point.  But organisations are now up against it financially, and such services (if available at all) are likely to get cut. My organisation is in a state of massive change, and OH provision is being outsourced. The services I currently provide on a full time basis are being cut to having OH input for 1 day per week. My Boss states that  he has no idea how he will run his business, absence levels will rise, operational "fitness" will be likely decided by managers, OH on 1 day per week can only be about advising on absence and a precursor to management actions rather than being about "health" . Difficult times ahead, and I agree with Di, employers will just take a punt at being hit by ETs/claims rather than taking an expensive proactive stance Wet and windy in Worcester too......Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 07:46:30 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Work related Injuries/Illness
To: [log in to unmask]

I agree with Sharon , employer's obligations are few. Pay SSP if presented with a sick note. Paying for physiotherapy makes good sense, both in terms of getting an employee back to do their job, and also should their be a claim against the company.However not all companies are in a financial position to do this...I think it highly unlikely that a relatively unskilled worker would claim for loss of earnings.
Equality Act probably unlikely to apply if the injury is likely to resolve in less that 12 months.The employers do not have a duty to put in place adjustments they have a duty to "consider reasonable adjustments"They may consider adjustments and then decide they cannot do it..
Cynical... well I have been in OH a long time and worked in a lot of places. Some employers really try hard.Some work on the basis that it is cheaper to do nothing and risk that about 1 in10- employees will take them to court...
Cheers from a damp and rainy LeicesterDiane

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: