I agree with Carr. Irrespective of the neurology opinion (unfortunately for her) the police will have their own criteria - and the risk may well outweigh the clinical opinion - although it will be taken into account. In my working environment the issue of security of the establishment outweighs everything else. I have dealt with similar cases to this, and officers have been removed from operational duties because of the risk of (eg) having a seizure and their keys may be taken, prompting the risk of prisoner escape,  or they are assaulted etc. And this is when the clinical evidence indicates that NAD. The problem being that investigation/diagnosis of "seizures" can be notoriously difficult.

5 years does seem a bit harsh though, but drivers in this capacity are very high profile, there have been "civillian" deaths when drivers of respeonse vehicles have lost control of the car. I am surprised that she has been manitained on operational duties to be honest.....

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:14:50 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Police Standard Response Driver FITNESS Urgent Assistance
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi

The other thing to take into account is that the DVLA standards are only one of the criteria taken into account when considering occupational driving fitness. Many employers operate a zero tolerance risk for certain driving duties also.

Essentially while her Neurologist can advise to a degree on her medical status he has no role in commenting on the risk in relation to occupational driving as he has no understanding of the risk .. hence the role of OH. I find that many medical professionals unfortunately give false hope in such circumstances...... I've known of cases where even when the DVLA re-instated licence the employer was able to justify non driving due to risk.

A sad situation and maybe the OHA wasn't as harsh as your party "heard" her to be but instead was trying to be honest with her about the limitations that will be in play going forwards?

Carr