With regard to any cream applied as 'protection' consider the following:-

1. How do you ensure that the skin is completely covered? In one study 84%
of those applying the cream missed areas of the hands, which would mean,
were the cream to actually work, leaving that part of the skin unprotected.
I equate this to the wearing of gloves with holes!

2. So-called 'barrier' or 'protective' creams are legally cosmetic products
and as such only subject to the cosmetic products regulations. If an
employer then uses them to 'protect' his workforce it can be argued that he
is now using the cream as personal protective equipment, subject to the
personal protective equipment regulations. The onus is then on the employer
to have sufficient evidence that the product will provide the protection
needed to ensure adequate control. The tests for cosmetics will not provide
this. As there are no generally validated tests for performance of
protective creams where does this leave the employer?

3. When we run our courses we demonstrate glove permeation using a
single-use nitrile glove, nail polish remover and a colour change pad.
Permeation occurs within seconds. Does anyone really imagine that a cream
applied to the skin can outperform the nitrile glove?

4. With gloves we can perform 'in-use' tests to establish actual performance
under the particular conditions of use, since we can place detection pads
between the gloves and the skin. You cannot do this for a cream. So how will
you know if the cream has (a) been applied correctly, (b) has not been worn
off through physical conditions, skin desquamation, etc., (c) is really
working? Incidentally, glove performance under actual conditions of use may
bear little relationship with the manufacturer's published performance data
according to EN374-3.

Finally, I do not even recommend the application of a moisturizing product
prior to donning gloves. Firstly, the product is designed to prevent skin
dryness and under an occlusive glove the opposite is the problem. Secondly,
as already stated, the potential for allergic reactions from products in the
cream is increased due to the micro-environment and consequent
hyperhydration.

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FInstSMM, MCMI, MIIRSM, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: +44 1386 832 311 (office), Mobile: +44 7818 035 898

www.enviroderm.co.uk

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: